Monday, April 9, 2012

Tail Section Part 4

In the Tail Section Part 3 post I stopped with the cutting of the tail section in order to get it to fit to the side panel better.  After laying some fiberglass matt over the gap while it was on the car, I needed to fill the gap on the inside.  I knew I wanted to use short strand fiberglass filler but I wanted to strengthen it a little bit more so I simply cut some fiberglass matt into very short strands and then mixed them into the filler.  You can buy long strand fiberglass filler but I have found that to be very hard to work with.


And here is a pic of the filler spread into the gap. 



After sanding the filler, I then layed fiberglass matt and then some cloth over the matt to give it even more strength. 

The next part of the tail section that I needed to tackle was the top of the tail behind the roll bar.  The right side is fine but the left side sticks out in the air stream too much.



So it was time to cut it up again -- which I did!  Of course, after cutting it I needed to fill in the gap.  In my first attempt, I used flashing to try to get the shape that I wanted. 



Unfortunately that didn't work as well as I would have liked so I started over again.  This time I went back to using the two part expandable foam. 



This worked much better and I was able to sand it to the shape that I wanted.  I'm in the process of laying bondo over it but below is a pic of how it looks right now.


So I'm now in the process of laying bondo, sanding, laying bondo, sanding, etc. etc.  I don't planning on documenting this whole process but I will post some pics of the tail just before it goes to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment