Monday, April 2, 2012

Tail Section Part 3

I don't have as much to report on the tail section as I would like but I have made a little progress.  The good news is that I put the tail section on the car after fiberglassing the right side and there were no clearance issues.  Yeah!  Unfortunately there was a divet in the bubble.  I can only surmise that this was caused because I couldn't fiberglass over the foam while the tail was on the car and when I put the tail on the car, it changed shape a little bit.  In order to fix it, I cut slits in the bubble and taped some soft foam to the engine so that it would push out on the bubble a little bit.


I could then fiberglass over the slits and then I also fiberglassed on the backsides of the areas that I filled in with fiberglass matt and set the tail back on the car without the foam in place so that it hardened on the car which allowed it to take a natural set.


Now I just need to put bondo over it -- not like that isn't a lot of work in itself! 

Another issue that I needed to address with this tail section is that the right side wasn't meeting up with the side panel very well. 

 







In order to fix this, I again needed to destroy it a little more.  I cut a large upside down "L" slit in it so that I could line up the edge of the tail section with the edge of the side panel.  I could then fiberglass over the gap.  Again, I did this while the tail was on the car.



That is as far as I gotten but I can now fiberglass on the backside and it won't be long before I can start spreading bondo and going through multiple stages of sanding in order to prepare it for paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment