Monday, April 9, 2012

Data System Part 2

The next type of sensor that I'm tackling is the shock sensor or suspension travel sensor.  However, I'm not installing the typical type of sensor because I'm trying to save a little bit of money.  The normal shock sensors are easily $250 each so for four shocks that would be $1,000.  I had a couple of AiM rotating potentiometer sensors which I used for throttle and brake in my FV so I'm going to use those for the shocks.  Plus I'm going to use some very inexpensive rotating potentiometers for the other two shocks.  The internet is a very powerful tool and I got the idea to use these sensors from James Hakewill (http://www.jameshakewill.com/).  James is an engineer and an open wheel racer and he has posted some really great technical information on his website. 

Here is a pic of one of the AiM rotating sensors that I described above.  However, it didn't come with the arm that is on it.  This is something that is used on radio controlled vehicles, like cars, planes, and helicopters.  In fact, I bought a number of trick little pieces from the local hobby shop for this purpose.


You can see that the sensor is mounted on the rocker.  I again just used 10-32 nutcerts to accomplish this.  The rod and the piece that the rod is going through were again from the hobby shop and this will give me lots of flexibility in regards to adjusting the position of the sensor arm on the rod.  It might be hard to see in the picture but there is a set screw on top of the rod that can be loosened to allow the rod to slide through the hole.

For the fixed position side, I simply took a piece of 1/16" steel and drilled a hole in it so that it could be mounted to the shock bracket using the shock mounting bolt and then I bent it at a sufficient angle so that the rod was parallel to the shock.  Again, the rod, the rod end, and the hardware, were purchased from the hobby shop.


And here is a pic of the complete assembly.



Although it took me a while to figure out how to mount the sensor, it was a fairly easy installation.  Only three more shocks to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment