Monday, April 23, 2012

Data System Part 3

I didn't make a post last week because I was some friends of mine at the first 2012 F1600 series races at Virginia International Raceway two weekends ago.  That was the first time I had been to one of those race weekends and I'm really glad I went because I learned a lot and I got to see for myself that it really is a great series.  The young guns (16 to 18 yr olds) really showed their stuff and were the class of the field although some slightly older drivers were knocking on their door!

This past weekend I didn't get as much done as I would have liked because I unfortunately got sick and I was just not that motivated to do much with a 102 degree fever!  But I did get a little bit more done on the data system and I finished installing the shock sensors.

For the rear shock sensors, I bought a couple of potentiometors for less than $20 each and I kept the old AIM patch cables that came with the car and cut off the female ends off so that I could solder them to the potentiometors.  I would then glue servo arms to the shafts and glue some "L" pieces that I made to the sides so that I could fasten the potentiometers to the rocker arms.  Well, gluing the arms to the shafts worked fine but gluing the "L" pieces to the sides didn't and I had to make brackets that were a little more elaborate.











After soldering the connector to the potentiometer, I used shrink wrap to protect the wires and then put epoxy over the area to keep any moisture away from the wires plus it should help prevent the wires from getting pulled away from the potentiometor.  I mounted the potentiometors the same way as I did on the front shocks.




The only other sensor that I was able to install was a Fuel Temp sensor.  I already had the sensor, I had the fitting, and there was an empty channel on the data system, so I figured I might as well use them. 



The only sensors that aren't mounted yet are the wheel speed sensors and I obviously can't install those until I have suspension on the car.  I just need to do a little more bodywork before I can install the suspension.






No comments:

Post a Comment