Saturday, July 23, 2011

A HOT Morning In The Garage

Based on the forcast for it being a 100 degree day, I knew that it was going to be a VERY HOT day in the garage so I got up just before 6 am (the cats helped in that area) and got in the garage by 7 am.  It was already 80+ degrees so it didn't take long to get over 90.  I turned on two fans and got busy taking more stuff of the car.  I wanted to get the steering sensor re-installed just to make sure there wasn't any issues with it.  First I had to disconnect the front sway bar and then I removed the steering rack.

Here are a couple pics of the steering rack.  The first pic shows where it mounts and the 2nd pic shows it mounted.  The black piece of rubber in the center rotates and the sensor is mounted such that it pushes up against the rubber piece.












I tested the sensor again after it was mounted and it seems to work fine.

Everything mounted to the belly pan has to come out because I have to take the belly pan off at some point.  Plus I want to look everything over and learn how everything mounts so I figured I would start at the front of the car and work my way back.

Here is a pic of the front of the car with the sway bar and steering rack removed.



There are a lot of washers being used as spacers on those master cylinders.  I think I will have someone make some spacers for me.

Front without the master cylinders:



Notice the paint coming off the bottom of the front panel -- I might try to find someone to powder coat it.

The front without the panel:



I also removed all the pedals and found this issue with the brake pedal.  The brake balance bar got out of alignment at some point and pushed up against the edge of the tube that it sits in.  Not a big issue but I will get it fixed anyway.



I then removed the front shocks the rockers, and the fire extinguisher.  Here are before and after pics.











Notice all the sand where the battery sat.  I'm guessing that was from Roebling Road in Savannah.  I know I have collected a lot of sand there! :>)

No comments:

Post a Comment