Monday, May 14, 2012

Undertray Part 1

Ok, it is time to move onto another project.  I need to make an undertray to mount beneath the transmission.  It isn't a difficult piece to make, well, at least mine isn't going to be difficult.  I'm making it out of 1/4 inch plywood with kevlar on the bottom and fiberglass on the top.  The undertray can be the width of the sidepods but cannot extend past the back of the rear tires.  I'm not going into the details in this blog but I needed to borrow a rear upright and a wheel with a tire mounted from a friend of mine so that I could make sure that it didn't extend past the rear tires.  Here is a pic of me mocking it up with the left rear suspension mounted along with my friend's upright and rear tire.



And here is a pic of the undertray after trimming it.  This also shows the cut out that allows it to fit around the bottom of the oil tank.



Once it was cut to size, I could lay some kevlar on the bottom.  I'm doing two layers of kevlar and here is a pic of me laying it out.  Btw, if anyone reading this blog wants to work with kevlar, make sure you buy kevlar scissors because you won't cut it without them!!




And here is a pic of the kevlar layed on the undertray with resin.



Next I need to fiberglass the top side and the edges.




No comments:

Post a Comment