Monday, May 21, 2012

Fire Exinguisher

In another post, I mentioned that I had to order a new fire extinguisher because the one that came with the car had a slow leak.  At first I ordered a mechanical fire extinguisher but I couldn't get that one too fit due to the overall length and the handle was getting in the way of other things.  So I sent that one back and exchanged it with the electric version.  It is actually a really nice system that has its own control panel which has batteries to activate the extinguisher if needed.  You can also flip a switch to arm and de-arm the system.

Here is a pic of the extinguisher installed.  You can see the extinguisher tubing and the electrical cable mounted to the extinguisher.



And here are pics of the control panel which is velcroed to the bodywork and the button that I would push if there was a fire.












I did not take pics but there is a nozzle in the cockpit area and one in the engine bay.

Due to the straps and latches that hold the extinguisher in place which my feet could hit getting in and out of the car, I decided to make an aluminum cover.  In order to figure out the shape of the cover, I again turned to using the thin 1/2 inch steel to get the shape.


When bending the aluminum, I layed the steel template next to the aluminum on my metal brake so that I could match the angles.  Take a note of the metal brake that I'm using in the pic below.  I bought this from Harbor Freight many years ago for something like $20.  It certainly isn't an optimum piece of equipment but for tasks such as this it actually does a decent job.


Here are some pics of the cover installed.









Unfortunately, I got in the car and found out that my calves were hitting the cover!  And after looking at these pictures, I have realized why -- the cover is much higher than the battery and the template was not that high.  Oh well, I can probably modify it but I can also drive the car without it so this is probably something that I will re-visit after the first test day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment