Sunday, March 4, 2012

Wiring Part 2

Ok, so I'm still wiring!!  The last thing I want is bad connections so I'm taking my time with it.  I did get all the lights and switches installed in the dash (pictured below).  The switch on the left is for the data system and the switch on the right is for the rain light.  I like to have lights on the dash so that I can actually see when something is on so I ordered some LED lights (the ones with the chrome bezels) to tell me when the ignition is on (green light), the fuel pump is on (yellow light), and when the rain light is on (blue light).  The small red LED light was given to me by a friend of mine and is an ECU error code light.  It flashes a number of times and the amount of times changes based on the problem.  The large red light is an low oil pressure warning light.  My data system dash (which will fit on the steering wheel) also has warning lights but I wanted an extra big and bright warning light for low oil pressure and this one actually came with the car.


I also decided to change the small change panel a little bit.  It was a little busy for me so I bought a military style switch that will turn on the ignition and will also turn the starter over -- it is a 3 position switch.  I used the ignition switch that came with the car (also a military style switch) for the fuel pump.  Since I'm not using the push button starter switch, I needed to remake the panel.  I made it out of 1/8" aluminum and used the old one to trace the shape.



Since the Honda Fit engine has an alternator, I had to buy a different type of master switch than I have used on my Formula Vees.  This one has a resistor and a number of blade type terminals.  You can see the resistor tie wrapped to the roll bar tubing in the pic below.



The good thing about the HPD wiring harness is that every wire labeled.  Getting back to the dash, all the items in the dash need power and ground wires so I velcroed some terminal blocks with jumper strips to the back of the aluminum panel that holds the ECU.  The terminal block on the left is for power and the one on the right is for ground.


There was going to be a lot of wires coming from the dash and I wanted to be able to remove it without undoing a bunch of wires so I decided to go with Weather Pack connectors.  I have never used these before but they are pretty slick.  They consist of male and femal pins along with rubber pieces that fit into plastic housings.  You can then connect and disconnect the plastic housings.  I will be using two 6 pin connectors and a couple of single pin connectors.  You do need a special crimper to crimp the metal pins to the wires.

Here is a pic of a male pin along with the rubber piece that goes with it.


And here is a pic of them installed on a wire.



And here is a pic of 6 ground wires installed in a housing.




I need to order some more stuff but I should be able to finish up the wiring next weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment