Monday, December 26, 2011

Chassis Conversion Part II

Well, the car is back home -- just in time for Christmas.  Here are some more pics of the mods made by Eric Langbein.











Due to the size of the rivet holes in the frame, Eric and I decided to have him weld strips on the inside of the frame.  I will install 5/32" rivets in the new strips as well as in between the existing holes in the chassis when attaching the belly pan.



I also had Eric modify the shift linkage to get it closer to the frame and away from my elbow.  That was the only thing that felt uncomfortable to me when I sat in the car.



Now that the car was home, the plan was to start on the belly pan but before I could do that, I needed to paint the new parts of the frame.  I probably should have had the frame sand blasted and painted but I decided to save a little bit of time and money and do it myself.  Here is a pic of the frame before painting.



Unfortunately, I forgot to take a pic of the painted frame but there will be plenty of pics of other things that will include the frame to follow!


2 comments:

  1. Are you putting the belly pan on top of the new strips or back on the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Al,

    The belly pan is going to be one big piece of .083 aluminium so it will go on the bottom. The strips are just giving me more surface area to rivet/bond to.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete