Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bodywork Part 2

I don't have as much to report after this weekend but I did get the left side panel of the race car finished up.  The templates that I made in order to locate the screw holes and the pushrod hole worked pretty well although I did have to re-do the screw hole at front and bottom of the panel and I also had to slightly elongate a couple of the holes at the back of the panel.  Here are pics of the front of the panel with it installed on the car along with the left front lower A Arm and pushrod.



I did have to spend some more time with the panel because it had a bow in it which caused cracks.  This is a picture of the right side panel which has the same issue.  Next to it is a pic of the left side panel installed on the car and it also shows the crack that needed repairing.


The reason why this happened is because the top of the panel had to be trimmed for the rocker arm.  By removing that material it weekend the panel in that area so I layed some fiberglass matt along the length of the panel on the back side where it was bowed and then layed a piece of fiberglass on the top of the panel.  Here is a pic of it after it was completed.



It seems strong enough now!  Next weekend I will start on the right side panel.


No comments:

Post a Comment